1. Age of competitors is taken as on 1st September 2020. Accuracy in birth date is essential. Incorrect age will lead to disqualification.
2. Competitors may not present more than one dance in any solo class but may appear twice in duet, trio or group classes. However, a school may have three entries in a group class ONLY if each dance is of a different discipline ie. Tap, Song & Dance or Modern, Ballet, National or Character. Please adhere to this rule as group classes can be very large. This only applies to group classes.
3. Pointe work is not permitted under 13 years.
4. No dancers in professional full-time vocational training may enter the Festival.
5. CDs must be clearly marked with competitor’s name, and must be handed to the organiser before the appropriate class. The Festival takes no responsibility for consistent reliability of CDs.
6. Recorded accompaniment for Song & Dance classes must not contain a vocal accompaniment.
7. The accompaniment, choice and interpretation, as well as the quality of the recording, will be taken into account by the adjudicator.
8. Novice Classes (for those not placed 1st in any previous festival) must have a minimum of 4 entries, otherwise entrants will be placed in relevant age group sections.
9. Competitors may only classes of the appropriate age. Competitors are not permitted to enter an older age class for any solo dance.
10. Championship Classes. All Championship entrants will be selected by the Adjudicator from the Age-group classes. Competitors only are allowed back-stage during these classes.
11. The Exeter Festival Performance Award. To be eligible for entry, dances must have received a minimum mark that will be announced during the week of the competition. The organising committee will decide the mark and the number of dances permissible. Please note any winning dances from a previous year are not eligible.
12. Re-dances are not allowed (except classes 1A, 1B, 1C & 1D). Any competitor not completing their performance will be disqualified unless requested to re-dance by the adjudicator.
13. Trophies must be returned and cleaned before the start of the Festival. Please return to the address on the Entry Form.
14. The use of recorded music. The Festival is affiliated to the British Federation of Festivals (Provisional) and participates in its Group Licence covering payment of fees for the use of recorded music. Teachers using audio created from commercial recordings are advised that they should themselves seek permission to re-record from the record companies concerned.
15. All photography, filming, video or tape-recording is strictly prohibited.
16. Programme Times are approximate and competitors must be prepared to perform (at the adjudicator’s discretion) up to 30 minutes earlier.
17. Classes with a large number of entries. The Dance Secretary reserves the right to divide such classes.
18. Parents are not permitted to remain sidestage during classes, with the exception of classes 1, 1a, 1b and 1c.
19. COMPETITORS WEARING STAGE COSTUME ARE NOT ALLOWED IN ANY PUBLIC AREA OF THE CORN EXCHANGE (i.e. FOYERS, AUDITORIUM AND BAR). IGNORING THIS RULE WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.